Monday, January 2, 2017

Inpatient Therapy Reflection: First 5 Months

I missed a week of therapy with my clients, and I really missed it! Two of my clients missed two sessions because they did not want to meet twice in a row, and all of my clients missed another session with my week out.

I was at the hospital Thursday, and was reminded how much I love it. On top of that, I had three out of three really great sessions with my clients. Last year, my first year of conducting individual therapy, was really challenging. I constantly worried about my clients' well-being and never felt like I was doing an "evidence-based practice". Therapy was stressful most of the time, and did not feel very rewarding. This year is feeling very different. I look forward to going to the hospital every day (which never happened last year), I am starting to feel like I am really integrating evidence-based practice correctly (which I rarely felt last year), and I am a lot less stressed than I was last year. I think part of this change might be the setting (I am really loving inpatient) and part of it might be that I'm feeling more comfortable conducting therapy. A big part of it is also the population. I really love working with people with serious mental illnesses and schizophrenia.

I met with a coworker to discuss some clients and coordinate treatment. One thing she said that stuck with me was "You have to find their strengths", referring to people with serious mental illness (specifically schizophrenia). She really emphasized each person's qualities that make them unique and clearly cared for each person she works with. It takes a certain clinician to speak in this way, and I really love working with these types of people. If we, as clinicians, are able to show people their strengths, and highlight those, every person can have a meaningful life.

I have been wanting to do this for so long -- sometimes it feels surreal. Working with this population is the most rewarding thing ever. People really appreciate the time you spend with them and are very open. This population has a horrible reputation, and I find that very sad because some of them are the best people I've ever met. When the day comes to leave this place, it will be a very sad day. I am thankful to spend time with these individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment